Monday, January 17, 2011

Mmm...food...

My organic food box came today and I was pleasantly surprised. It was delivered straight to my door, albeit not early in the morning like the milk comes, but instead around noon. I may need to stick a cooler out there since I won't be able to get it before I head off to work normally and I don't want anything going bad.

(It was packed much better than this. I just wanted to show the underside layer of veggies.)

They gave me much more fruit than I thought I'd get (3 pears, 3 apples, 7 bananas!) so there will be a lot of fruit consumption going on this week. I'm kind of concerned that there aren't enough veggies (1 rather large broccoli floret, 1 onion, 1 yellow pepper, 2 yams, 8 oz mushrooms) for the two of us for a week, but I can always buy more at the store and up next week's delivery.

Another bonus: a little slip that says how long all their produce keeps, broken down by fruit and/or vegetable. I've been gathering this sort of information for a while, but it's nice to finally have it in one spot.

(Click on the image for a larger and more readable version.)

So far I think I'm going to roast the yams, onion, and carrots (extra from last week) as a side dish for...I don't know what for yet. I might make pork chops later in the week but I'm not sure. Next on the weekly menu is butternut squash soup, which uses non-organic store-bought ingredients (but home-made chicken stock). Yummy...

No comments:

Post a Comment