Sunday, October 28, 2012

Smoothies

Pardon all the recipe posts but I've been experimenting with different kinds of foods, trying to find a rhythm for my meals.

I was really craving peanut butter today for breakfast (a craving is usually how I decide that day's meal) and wasn't really feeling a PB&J sandwhich, mostly because I don't want to waste my calories on bread filler. So instead I was reminded of a delicious peanut butter and banana smoothie I had eaten recently, so I went that route.

After enjoying and loving my breakfast smoothie, I decided I needed to do these more often and began looking for recipes, where "recipes" is used as a loose term. Mostly I was looking for good combinations of ingredients besides the obvious fruit + yogurt variety.

I haven't really found any so here is what I've settled on to get the proportions correct:
For 2 servings that yield approximately 200 - 300 calories per serving, put together...
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • ~2 cups fruit
  • 2 tbs ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Good combinations include:
  • Peanut butter and banana (1 tbs peanut butter)
  • Mango and banana
  • All the berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
  • Banana and granola
  • Pistachios with kiwis
  • Walnuts with apples
  • Pears and oranges
  • Cherries and raspberries
These are all pretty crappy recipes in that they're nothing new. But I prefer my breakfasts to be lactose-based and thus smoothies with orange/other juice as a base were eliminated, as were ones where vegetables were pureed. I'm very specific as to how I eat my veggies (not boiled or obliterated) so that pretty much leaves yogurt, milk, and fruit as the main ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment