Friday, November 9, 2012

Bridesmaids dresses

A good friend of mine is getting married in June and she's asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I'm honored and excited, but kind of perplexed about the dress situation.

We're getting this awesome dress that can be converted into 15 different dresses depending on how you style the top. So it's going to be a keeper. The problem is it comes in two different sizes: A and B. Size A is for people sized 0 - 14, and B is for 16 - 24, with a recommendation to get A if you're a 12 - 14 (for comfort).

In general, I've tried to stay away from buying clothes that "I can wear when I lose weight" because then I don't have anything to wear right now. When I do finally get down to a size where my clothes no longer fit (for a good reason) I've finally realized that the cheapskate in me will be replaced by proud me. And getting new clothes will be a great non-food reward for losing all this weight. Or at least I'll have a good reason to justify overhauling my wardrobe.

Anywhos, this dress situation throws that entire way of thinking out the window. I really like this dress and I really do plan on keeping it for a while because it's so convertible. But I also want to be able to enjoy this dress now and not be uncomfortable for the wedding. A solution could be ordering the larger size and getting it tailored when I eventually slim down. But I think that might be too expensive. So that leaves me with getting thinner and doing it quickly (by my standards).

In order for me to fit a size A comfortably, I would have to lose about 55 pounds between now and then, which is approximately 7 months and comes out to between 1.5 and 2 lbs a week. It's theoretically possible but I'm not sure I can do it because I suck at willpower and sticking to strict schedules. Things usually take me longer to accomplish than I anticipate and this weight-loss thing is already a massive undertaking.

On the other hand, it's nice to have a set goal.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I've been pretty committed to weight-loss lately, but it's only been a couple weeks so it's hard to gauge my progress and it's around this time-frame that I give up entirely because I become overwhelmed. I'm going to see how I do between now and when we have to order the dress and make the decision closer to that date. But the dress has to be ordered by the end of the year, not leaving me much time to assess the feasibility of losing that much weight.

So for now I will fret and stress and over-think losing weight, which will probably result in me giving up on this entirely as I have in years past. I do much better when I go through this process at my own pace. I've been fat for so long that an extra year won't make that much of a difference. At least that's how I justify taking my time to lose weight.

But with this dress and wedding, I don't have that convenience and I'm worried I'll crash and burn and not fit into my bridesmaids dress. That'll be a double whamy of failure.

Any suggestions for what I should do? Get the next size up and do things on my own terms (and not have a dress for later)? Or go for broke and try to get skinny by June?

Current weight: 215.5

No comments:

Post a Comment