Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Vacation weight-loss, or lack thereof

I just got back from a week in Mexico and it was an amazing seven days of gluttony and sloth.

I knew that trying to count calories would be impossible when I wasn't the one preparing most of my meals. Also, I didn't want to stress or worry or even have to think about approximating things. I knew my calorie intake would not be pretty so I went with the head-in-the-sand technique of ignoring weight-loss altogether that week, and it worked out well for my mental health.

Instead of worrying about everything I put in my mouth, I made a concerted effort to drink less beer and eat fewer chips. I didn't completely abstain from either of those things but I only had them when I REALLY wanted them. So in a sense, I did eat less than I normally would, which is the bare bones goal I've set for myself for the rest of this calendar year.

I haven't weighed myself yet so I don't know the real damage done, because I'm waiting for the alcohol water weight to fully wear off. But whatever it ends up being, it was totally worth it (seriously). I needed that week to relax and worrying about my weight was not the way to do it.

Now it's back to the real world, complete with work meetings, calorie counting, and adapting my workouts to the weather.

By the way, the lawn chair on the left in the shade of the palapa is where I spent most of the last seven days:


No comments:

Post a Comment