Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ophiuchus, the 13th Zodiac sign

This is totally off topic, but I had to share since I'm a somewhat believer of the Zodiac and this has rocked that world hard-core.

From Gawker:

Astronomers have restored the original Babylonian zodiac by recalculating the dates that correspond with each sign to accommodate millennia of subtle shifts in the Earth's axis. Prepare to have your minds blown, all you people with easily blowable minds.

Here is the zodiac as the ancient Babylonians intended it—with the dates corresponding to the times of the year that the sun is actually in each constellation's "house"—according to the Minnesota Planetarium Society's Parke Kunkle:
Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16.
Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11.
Pisces: March 11-April 18.
Aries: April 18-May 13.
Taurus: May 13-June 21.
Gemini: June 21-July 20.
Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10.
Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16.
Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30.
Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23.
Scorpio: Nov. 23-29.
Ophiuchus:* Nov. 29-Dec. 17.
Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20.
*Discarded by the Babylonians because they wanted 12 signs per year.
It's me again. So instead of being a Sagittarius who is interested in expanding my horizons through travel and immersion in other cultures, as well as having a "fiery enthusiasm that shows through blunt sincerity, honest convictions and drive for independence," giving me a want for adventure and the great outdoors (per Wikipedia), I'm now supposedly represented by Ophiuchus who is considered "a healer of men and a doctor of medicine or science. He seeks higher education and enlightenment. He is expected to achieve a high position in life...[and] he is an interpreter of dreams and vivid premonitions. He is envied by his peers and favored by his father and authority figures" (per Time Magazine).

Given that I love to travel and would rather stay in one place for a month than see a whole bunch of places during that time, and my only real passion in life is medicine (besides sailing, of course), You could say I'm a combination of the two.

There are also some things that don't fit me well from the Sagittarius point of view, which is where the somewhat Zodiac believer part of me comes from, and that in itself goes against a Sagittarius who is supposed to have a great capacity for faith. But then again, I don't know what kind of faith is referenced in the previously mentioned Wikipedia article, since I do agree with the statement that explains the reason that we Sagittari have that faith is because "it is this good-natured faith that usually plays into their fortunate endeavors." And that part is very true.

So I'll stick with saying I'm a halfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment