Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Zupy

Even though it hasn't been all that cold lately (60 F today!), I've had a HUGE craving for soups. More specifically, my mom's soups. Every time I go home to visit my folks, I always request tomato soup and then I load up on it during the whole time I'm there.

And this week it dawned on me that, 1) these soups are not that hard to make, and 2) I am quite capable of cooking soup.

So after I attempted tomato soup earlier in the week, it was time to move onto beet soup, also known as barszcz czerwony in Polish (red borsch I think in American?). Anywhos, it helped that I had a massive craving for beets...

After I was done baking beets, slicing beets, and cooking beets, the kitchen looked like someone had been murdered in it. Actually, it kind of resembled the scene from the last time I used the mandolin slicer, but with much more pleasant results this time around.

A trip to the grocery store and many phone calls home to Mom later, I was finally able to enjoy the deliciousness of the barszcz:


The ingredients are simple:
- Water
- Chicken Thighs
- Leeks
- Carrots
- Celery
- Onion
- Beets
- Beet Greens
- Cabbage
- Lemon Juice
- Sour Cream

As are the directions:
1. Cook the meat.
2. Add the veggies.
3. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
4. Stir in sour cream.
5. Serve with potatoes cooked separately, or drink on its own.

And if I eat the chicken and most of the veggies (which I intend to do, especially the beets), here's the nutritional info:

Not too shabby for a very filling bowl of soup.

Next soup experiment is Mom's pickle soup, although I don't think this one will turn out nearly as good since our pickles are slightly different from the ones she uses*. I guess that's another reason to start pickling my cucumbers come the spring/summer...


*Having the same ingredients as my mom is key. For example, different brands of tomato paste cause the tomato soup to vary greatly in taste, to the point where my dad and I can figure out when something is amiss. This is the reason why my mom mails me cans of tomato paste. No joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment